Sweet and Spicy Ground Beef Recipe
Everyone has that patented go-to quick and easy recipe for when they’re tight on time for dinner. And this one is mine! My Sweet and Spicy Ground Beef recipe has never failed me. It always manages to deliver an amazing meal every time. Its simplicity makes it very versatile. It can be paired with so many different vegetables, sides, white rice, brown rice, quinoa, tortilla, or pita bread. Honestly, it can go with anything.
Choosing a Leaner Blend for this Ground Beef Recipe
The base of this recipe is ground beef. Ground beef isn’t necessarily the healthiest. However, picking a leaner blend can totally improve its nutritional value. Most grocery stores sell an 80/20 meat to fat blend. While this is the most popular and is readily available, I would really recommend choosing a leaner blend. I usually get mine from Trader Joes which is a 94/6 blend. Or I head over to 365 Wholefoods and pick up their 90/10 lean ground beef.
As much as I love some fat in my cuts of meat, at times an 80/20 blend will turn your dish quite greasy. While you can always drain out the fat during the cooking process, keep in mind that your meat was still cooked in that greasy fat. You would be amazed at the difference between the nutritional value of these blends. Check these numbers out.
80/20 vs. 90/10 Ground Beef Blends
Sweet and Spicy, Simple, Quick, and Versatile
In addition to being absolutely delicious, the simplicity and quickness of this recipe add to its overall appeal. The contrast between sweet and spicy makes it very versatile and can be paired with so many things. It works well on top of white rice, brown rice, quinoa, pasta, or even some greens. I also add any vegetables that I have in my fridge. It’s great with corn, peas, sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, okra, or any other vegetable you may have. This ground beef recipe is so flavourful that you don’t need to do much with these vegetables. Normally, I would just steam or roast any one of these vegetables with a little bit of olive oil with some salt and pepper.
Try out this simple ground beef recipe and I hope it makes the cut and become one of your go-to dinner options.
More recipes from LouweezyAnne? Check them out here.
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef 90/10 or leaner
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. chili garlic sauce spice level based on personal preference
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- black pepper to taste
- Add 1tbsp. of olive oil on a large skillet. Brown ground beef over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions.
- Add onions and garlic. Mix into ground beef and cook until fragrant for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup cane sugar, 1-2tbsp. chili garlic sauce. Simmer for a couple of minutes and allow all the flavours to blend.
- Add 2 cups of mushrooms and cook until tender. Serve on top of brown or white rice and enjoy.